Exclusions & Limitations
It is important that all Illinois students, faculty, and staff are aware of the Exclusions and Limitations of the International Insurance policy before going abroad. The information below is taken from the “2017-2018 University of Illinois-International Travel Insurance Brochure” on pages 11-12. This list is not all-inclusive, please view the International Insurance Brochure online for a complete list.
Excluded Activities Waiver
If you are participating in any of the italicized activities outlined in the list below, you are required to complete the Acknowledgement and Assumption of Risk Release of Liability and Waiver of Rights for Excluded Activities Abroad form.
Excluded Activities from Policy Brochure
International Insurance will not pay benefits for any loss or Injury that is caused by or results from:
- Intentionally self-inflicted injury; suicide or attempted suicide. (Applicable to Accidental Death and Dismemberment Benefit Only)
- War or any act of war, whether declared or not.
- Piloting or serving as a crewmember in any aircraft (unless otherwise provided in the Policy).
- Commission of, or attempt to commit, a felony.
- Sickness, disease, bodily or mental infirmity, bacterial or viral infection, or medical or surgical treatment thereof, except for any bacterial infection resulting from an accidental external cut or wound or accidental ingestion of contaminated food (Applicable to accident benefits only).
- Riding in any aircraft except as a fare-paying passenger on a regularly scheduled or charter airline.
- Commission of or active participation in a riot or insurrection.
- An accident if the Covered Person is the operator of a motor vehicle and does not possess a valid motor vehicle operator's license.
In addition, International Insurance will not pay Medical Expense Benefits for any loss, treatment, or service resulting from:
- Routine physicals and care of any kind, including routine dental care and treatment or eye refractions or eye examinations for the purpose of prescribing corrective lenses.
- Cosmetic surgery, except for reconstructive surgery needed as the result of an Injury.
- Expenses incurred during travel for purposes of seeking medical care or treatment, or for any other travel that is not in the course of the participating organization’s activity (unless personal deviations are specifically covered).
- Elective treatment, exams or surgery; elective termination of pregnancy.
- Expenses for services, treatment or surgery deemed to be experimental and which are not recognized and generally accepted medical practices in the United States.
- Expenses payable by any automobile insurance policy without regard to fault or any expense paid or payable by any other valid and collectible group insurance plan.
- Injury sustained while participating in club, intramural, intercollegiate, interscholastic, professional or semi-professional sports.
- Injury caused by or resulting from travel in or on any off-road motorized vehicle not requiring licensing as a motor vehicle, or a motor vehicle not designed primarily for use on public streets or highways.
- Injury resulting from off-road motorcycling; mountain climbing (where ropes or guides are used); sky diving; amateur automobile racing; automobile racing or automobile speed contests; bungee jumping; spelunking; white water rafting; surfing; or parasailing.
In addition to the policy exclusions, International Insurance will not pay personal property and financial instrument reimbursement, benefit(s) for:
- Loss or damage due to: i. moth, vermin, insects, or other animals; wear and tear; atmospheric or climatic conditions; or gradual deterioration or defective materials or craftsmanship; ii. Mechanical or electrical failure; iii. Any process of cleaning, restoring, repairing, or alteration.
- Devaluation of currency or shortages due to errors or omissions during monetary transactions.
- Any loss not reported to either the police or transport carrier within 24 hours of discovery.
- Any loss due to confiscation or detention by customs or any other authority.
- Electronic equipment or devices including, but not limited to: cellular telephones; citizen band radios; tape players; radar detectors; radios and other sound reproducing or receiving equipment; PDAs; BlackBerrys; laptop computers; and handheld computers.