Policy requires enrollment in university-approved international insurance for all students, program leaders, and some faculty and staff participating in university-related travel. International Safety and Security oversees the insurance enrollment process for the university. Please consult with the Policy on Health and Safety in Study Abroad for more information.
Insurance ID Card & Policy Brochure
A copy of the insurance ID card and policy brochure can be found in multiple locations:
- View and download a copy of the insurance ID card from our website.
- View and download a copy of the policy brochure from our website.
- Those enrolled in international insurance will receive an email from the insurance provider with all insurance documents included. Check your university email inbox for an email from the sender "email@example.com."
- Gallagher, the international insurance provider, also has a website specifically for Illinois users. Please visit the Gallagher website for your insurance documents, and much more.
- Students can also review information concerning benefits and assistance in the International Insurance Student Guide (PDF). Students are encouraged to download the mobile guide (PDF) to their smartphone, tablet, or other device before travel.
The Safety and Security Admin Fee covers enrollment in international insurance, as well as the services provided through International Safety and Security, including 24/7 response team in the event of overseas emergencies, pre-departure training and orientation, international travel registry, and other services.
Fees are determined by the number of days spent abroad, also referred to as travel or program dates. Students should verify that their travel or program dates are the same as the insurance coverage dates, as listed in the Verification Letter you receive in the email from the international insurance provider.
Personal travel before, or after, your program is not eligible for coverage by international insurance. Please refer to the Leisure Travel Insurance section of the Other Insurance Products page for other insurance options.
|Length of program or trip||Fee (in U.S. Dollars)|
|Up to 2 weeks (1-16 days)||$75|
|Month (17-45 days)||$90|
|Short term (46-75 days)||$140|
|Semester (76-195 days)||$200|
|Academic year (196-315 days)||$365|
|Calendar year (316-365 days)||$420|
A detailed description of benefits can be found on pages 6-11 of the Policy Brochure. Benefits available under the international insurance policy are as follows: